Last Updated on August 24, 2022
Steam has become the de facto marketplace for PC gamers, with its library of thousands of titles and active user base. However, as more people download games onto their computers, their hard disk is running out of room to store them all.
The Steam client stores all of the games, updates, and files that a user downloads or purchases on their hard drive. There is a limit to how much storage space it can use on your computer. Read our guide to give steam more disk usage.
You may also be interested in How to Open the Steam Overlay.
Guide to Add more storage to steam
To add more Steam disk usage Follow the methods below:
Method 1: Clear Download Cache
This is the most common and simple approach so:
- Open the steam application on your computer.
- Open the steam Settings menu.
- Select Downloads from the left side.
- Click “Clean the Download Cache ” and wait till the process is completed
Note: As you clear this cache you have to re-enter your login credentials.
Method 2: Re-Adjust the bandwidth cap
In some cases, your ISP’s bandwidth capacity limitation doesn’t match your own, and this could influence your disk usage. To fix this:
- Open Steam and head towards the setting
- Select Downloads and click on the “Download Restrictions “.
- Set it to “No Limit” and then click OK.
Method 3: Change the download location
You might need to change the area of your downloads in the event that they get clogged or malfunction because of a hardware issue.
Method 4: Run a disk error check.
It may appear that your hard drive has a bad sector so you may need to scan your hard drive. Follow the instructions below:
Open the Command Prompt
- Click Start and afterward click My Computer.
- Right-click the drive to perform a check disk, and select Properties.
- Click on the Tools tab in the Properties window.
- Click Check under error checking. To play out a total check of the hard drive for errors, check off both options in the pop-up check disk window.
- Click the Start button to begin the interaction. If checking a hard drive with open files, an error message seems to express Windows can’t check the disk while it’s in use. Click Schedule disk check.
- The PC will reboot and check the plate before Windows Vista boots up.
Method 5: Repair Steam Library files
Open your Steam client and click the Library present on the top. Here is the list of your installed games. Select the game in which Steam overlay fails to open.
Right-click on the game which is giving you the error and select Properties.
Once in the properties, peruse the Local Files tab and click on the choice which says Verify Integrity of Game Files.
Steam will then, at that point, begin confirming every one of the documents present as indicated by the vitally manifest it has. Assuming there is any document missing/corrupted, it will download that file in the future and replace it in like manner.
Presently head towards your Settings by pressing the Settings option. Once in the Settings, open the Downloads tab present at the left half of the connection point.
Here you will see a box in which it is stated “Steam Library Folders“. Click it
All your steam content data will be recorded. Right-click on it and select “Fix Library Files“.
Method 6: Re-install Steam App
Assuming none of the methods has worked up to this point, you can attempt to reinstall the Steam client. The reason for low disk usage could be a few corrupted files:
- Run the Steam Program (Client). Click Steam in the upper left corner.
- Go to settings and find ‘Backup And Restore Games.’
- Make a point to backup every one of the files and programs that you need to.
- You could need to choose the location, backup file name, and size settings.
- When you finish the backup, leave Steam.
- Press Windows + R to send off the Run Utility.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl‘ and press enter.
- Track down Steam on the rundown, right-click on it, and click Uninstall.
- Adhere to the on-screen directions to uninstall Steam.
- Then return to the official website and install Steam once more.
- When you sign in, go. Just to Steam > Settings > Backup And Restore Games.
- Find the restore point for your Steam. Proceed with the choices.
- When completed, restart Steam.
New Update from Steam for Disk Usage
In order to prevent low disk space errors in the future, Valve has been working on a new update for Steam that will allow users to download games directly from the cloud instead of through their hard drives. This will free up more space for other files and updates that are downloaded by the client.
Talha works as a lead writer for the website. Along with having an engineering degree, he has got an intense interest in technology. Talha has been contributing to successful blog posts for the start of websites now. Talha’s tech experience, technical understanding, and writing skills make him an asset to the team.