What is a null file and how do you open it on your device? A null file is a type of file that doesn’t contain any data.
Null files are often used for testing purposes, as they allow you to see how your device or software will behave when confronted with an empty file. They are often used by developers to test how their software or programs will handle an empty file. And in some cases used as placeholder files or as templates for creating new files.
There are several ways to open null files on your device, depending on the operating system you are using.
Read the blog post to know how to open null files on Windows, Android, Mac OS, and iOS devices.
Guide to Open Null files on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
Let’s begin by opening Null files on Microsoft Windows-based devices.
Open Null Files in Windows
In Windows, there are two ways to open null files; by command prompt & Notepad.
- Open the command prompt by pressing the “Windows + R” keys on your keyboard and then typing “cmd.”
- Type “type NUL” and press the “Enter” key.
- This will open a null file in the command prompt window.
- Open Notepad by pressing the “Windows + R” keys and then typing “notepad.”
- Click “File” and then “Open.”
- In the “Open” dialogue box, type “NUL” in the “File name:” field and then click the “Open” button.
- A Null file will open in Notepad.
Open Null Files in Andriod
If you are using an Android device, you can open null files by following these steps:
- Find the “My Files” or “File Manager” application and open it.
- Click on the “Downloads” folder inside the application.
- You ought to see your downloaded NULL record in that folder.
- Tap on the file.
- On the off chance that the file doesn’t open you can search for the related application that can open the document by scanning Android App Store for the “null”.
- In case you can’t open the document with the applications from Android App Store, it is conceivable that the file must be opened on work area stages like Windows or Mac OS. Take a stab at scanning the web for “NULL file” and check whether any work area applications can open it.
- It is additionally conceivable that the document you downloaded is obsolete and is not generally upheld.
Free Space on your Android Using Null files
Null files can also be used to free up space on your Android device.
If you have files on your device that you no longer need, you can delete them and replace them with null files. This will give you the same amount of free space as if you had deleted the original files.
Steps to create a null file in place of deleted files:
- To do this, open a file manager app such as ES File Explorer and navigate to the folder that contains the files you want to delete.
- Next, long-press on a file and select “Delete.”
- Repeat this process for each file you want to delete.
- Once all of the files have been deleted, press the “Menu” button and select “Add” > “Create New File.”
- Enter “NUL” in the “File name:” field and tap the “OK” button.
- This will create a new null file in the location of the deleted files.
Open Null Files in MAC OS
Opening null files on a Mac is a relatively simple process and can be done with a few clicks of the mouse.
Track down a NULL file being referred to in Mac OS Finder and double-tap on it to send off the related application.
In case a NULL file isn’t opened in a Mac OS application, you can go to “Search App Store” in the error options & Mac OS will show you applications viable with the NULL file.
If you know of the Mac OS application that can open the NULL file, you can pick the “Choose Application” choice in the error box to relate the file expansion and open the NULL file in it.
On the off chance that you don’t have the foggiest idea about the application which can open the NULL file then attempt to look for “NULL wiki”, “application to open NULL file” or “open NULL file” inquiries in the web search tool you like. Install the application you found and you are done!
Open Null Files on iOS Devices
There are a few different ways to open null files on iOS-based devices.
- Open the Files application on your iPhone or iPad device.
- Tap on the Downloads folder on the Files application home screen.
- You will see all files that are recently downloaded. Tap on the NULL file!
- Assuming you have the right application that can open it will naturally send off and open your file.
- In case you don’t have the application which can open it you really want to look through the Apple application store for “NULL”. This will find applications that can open NULL files.
Another option is to use a third-party text editor such as BBEdit or TextWrangler.
These applications will likely have more features than TextEdit, but they may come with a price tag.
Finally, you can use a hex editor to view the contents of a null file. This is a more technical approach, but it can be useful if you need to examine the raw data in a file.
Whichever method you choose, opening null files in iOS is a relatively straightforward process.
Open Null Files Online
There are several ways that you can open null files online.
The first way is to use a file converter tool. There are many free online converters that can take a null file and convert it into a format that can be viewed in a text editor or spreadsheet program.
This is a good option if you need to view or edit the data inside a null file but do not have the program that can open it installed on your computer.
Another way to open null files online is to use a hex viewer. A hex viewer allows you to see the raw data inside a file, without any formatting.
This can be useful if you are trying to troubleshoot a problem with a file or if you are looking for specific data inside a null file.
Online Text Editor
Finally, you can use an online text editor to open and edit null files like https://www.editpad.org/.
There are many reasons why you might want to open a null file. For example, you may need to view the data inside for work or school purposes. Or, you needed to edit the data. Whatever may be the reason, hopefully, we have explained to you well about the Null files & how to open them.